cc-uk - [Cc-uk] Re: MUSIC WEEK CRITICISES CC (Neil Leyton)

  • From: "T.Brookes" <T.Brookes AT surrey.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-uk <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] Re: MUSIC WEEK CRITICISES CC (Neil Leyton)
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:48:55 -0000

Title: Re: MUSIC WEEK CRITICISES CC (Neil Leyton)

On 5/2/05 08:18, Neil Leyton wrote:
> I run an independent record label based in London...
> ... our CC licenses retain all copyright over commercial airplay, film & TV rights...
> ... our artists still get paid all these royalties.

Neil,

This is sounding encouraging to me.  Do your artists get royalties from PRS?  I was under the impression that, as things currently stand, PRS members cannot CC license their works because PRS insists on having control of all the performance rights (including non-commercial).  Have your artists managed to be PRS members and CC license works, or have they found an alternative to PRS for receiving airplay, film & TV royalties?

Also, does your record company receive performance royalties from PPL or from somewhere else? Again, my understanding was that PPL members could not issue releases under CC licences.

Thanks for any insights you can offer,

Tim.

  • [Cc-uk] Re: MUSIC WEEK CRITICISES CC (Neil Leyton), T.Brookes, 02/07/2005