cc-uk - [Cc-uk] Re: Collection Agencies and BBC Radio

  • From: Dr Tim Brookes <t.brookes AT surrey.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] Re: Collection Agencies and BBC Radio
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:02:44 +0000
On 31 Dec 2004, at 14:06, Rob Myers wrote:
Noncommercial-NoDerivs explicitly reserves your performing, recording and collecting rights.

OK. Thanks. So the CC licence has a clause which allows me to licence commercial use via a collecting agency. The problem, then, is that the collecting agency agreements don't have a corresponding clause allowing me to licence non-commercial use via CC. I suppose I need to ask someone at PRS whether they can change this or whether I need to terminate my membership in order to licence non-commercial use myself.

I think CC are talking to the rights agencies at the moment

Ah. Excellent. I'll keep watching this space then...

Since the BBC is a public-service non-profit organisation I think it would be OK.

I guess the phrase "non-profit" is the key there. No more BBC royalties then if I go CC NonCommercial, but commercial radio will continue to pay (via inadequately sporadic PRS returns) Paul McCartney and Elton John royalties on my works. Oh well. :-)

Happy New Year.

Tim.