cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] CC-UK Licence Status

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] CC-UK Licence Status
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:05:09 +0000

On Wednesday, November 17, 2004, at 08:33PM, Prodromos Tsiavos
<prodromos.tsiavos AT socio-legal-studies.oxford.ac.uk> wrote:

>After consultations with all the involved groups we have managed to agree in
>the following changes:
>[...]
>-the waiver of the integrity right will not be included in order to achieve
>interoperability with continental europe licences

I feel very strongly about someone else's moral rights being imposed on me.
Getting this wrong now will negativley affect the very nature of the licenses
and may affect what can be achieved with the 3.0 licenses. Frankly I'm more
interested in the underlying principles of the license remaining effective
and in interoperability with the rest of the world (notably the Americas and
Japan) than in hanging back to avoid walking out of step with a couple of the
more extreme rights regimes in other EU states.

>-BBC is close to removing the UK-specific provisions

That's great!

>-there is a particular clause that ensures interoperability between creative
>archive and cc-uk licences. The BBC licences should prevail in case there is
>mix between CA and CC content. I do understand that this will may cause
>a "balck hole effect" but could not reach any other result for the time
>being.

I am worried that there will be an outcry over this that will harm adoption
not only of the UK licenses but of any license that can relicense work under
the UK license.
I am also worried that (from a layperson's point of view) it possibly isn't
viable to relicense any other work as CC-UK anyway because the
CC-CA-interoperability module isn't in other licenses. But I do accept that
interoperability is vital and that perhaps I'm worrying too much. :-)

- Rob.

  • [Cc-uk] CC-UK Licence Status, Prodromos Tsiavos, 11/17/2004
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [Cc-uk] CC-UK Licence Status, Rob Myers, 11/18/2004