cc-uk - RE: [Cc-uk] using CC license for new English folk music

  • From: "Cotter, Colin J" <colin.cotter AT imperial.ac.uk>
  • To: "Rob Myers" <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Cc-uk] using CC license for new English folk music
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:35:16 +0100

Title: RE: [Cc-uk] using CC license for new English folk music

Thanks for your reply Rob - some comments below.

>I'd recommend using CC-BY-NC-SA , that is NonCommercial, and adding a
>specific exception that allows commercial use in the circumstances you give >above.

>Something like:

>Copyright (c) 2004 By You
>The author has asserted their moral rights.
>This work is licensed under the Creative Commons CC-BY-NC-SA license.
>See http://www.creativecommons.org/licenses/2.0/CC-BY-NC-SA/
>Additionally you may perform this work commercially for live performance of >music to accompany dancing.

I'm a bit surprised that CC doesn't allow you to make such a modification inside the license - does the organisation provide any support to get something like this working if I could create enough interest in the folk community?

>Personally I'd just go CC-BY-SA *after* releasing the work on CD, which I >assume is the commercial exploitation you wish to avoid?

Well it's not quite so simple because the publication we had in mind would be in the form of an online "book" of music manuscript (i.e. notation, not recordings). Some of the music has already appeared on CD, although much of the rest will have been performed at PRS registered venues.

-Colin