cc-uk - [Cc-uk] using CC license for new English folk music

  • From: Colin Cotter <colin.cotter AT imperial.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] using CC license for new English folk music
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:21:05 +0100

Hello list,

I'm a musician who plays for traditional English dancing (morris and barn dances) who is also very interested in music education. There are lots of musicians out there writing new tunes for dancing which over the years become absorbed into the traditional repertoire. I (along with other like-minded musicians) am keen to find a license for our new compositions in notation form which is compatible with the "folk tradition" whilst protecting some of our rights as authors. I think the CC license *nearly* does what I want, namely:

1) Require attribution - YES
2) Allow commercial uses - NO
3) Allow modifications of work - YES AS LONG AS OTHERS SHARE ALIKE

However, I would like to modify 2) to become
2) Allow commercial uses - IN LIVE PERFORMANCE ONLY
or, possibly
2) Allow commercial uses - ONLY FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE OF MUSIC INTENDED PRIMARILY FOR DANCING

Is it easy/possible to make a license of this type?

Also, what is the view of the MCPS/PRS on this type of license?

best wishes

Colin Cotter