cc-uk - [Cc-uk] welcome and discussion guidelines UK

  • From: "Christiane Asschenfeldt" <christiane AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] welcome and discussion guidelines UK
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:46:47 +0100

Title: Nachricht
Welcome to the discussion of the Creative Commons licenses in the United Kingdom.
It is my great pleasure to present to you Dr. Damian Tambini, Yo'av Mazeh and Christiane Ahlert our project leads.
Yo'av Mazeh is going to lead the legal discussion on this mailing list.

I would appreciate it, if you took the time to read the following
suggestions for the use of the mailing list. They have proven valuable in other Creative
Commons countries.

1) We suggest you bookmark important emails for future reference.
For example:
http://creativecommons.org/projects/international/uk/translated-license
is the first draft of the adaptation.
You will most likely return to it often, as it is the centerpiece of the
discussion.
Please bookmark it now for efficiency.
2) Please try and keep your emails relatively short and limited to one
subject per email. This will prevent others from being overwhelmed, and will help
to catch up on discussions they may have missed. This approach provides
the additional benefit that you will be able to link back to previous
emails by subject very easily (as demonstrated above).

3)  Please limit your suggestions and comments to things that will help
the licenses fit into UK law. The role of the discussion is not to second-guess
either Creative Commons' general policy or the philosophy reflected in the
licenses.
It's aim is to change the licenses the least amount possible to make it
concord with UK law. Suggestions that go beyond this goal will most likely not
affect the final license.

The first line of judgment on what changes are accepted is Yo'av Mazeh's.
The final judgment is Creative Commons' and will be reached with
Yo'av Mazeh's help.

4) Please feel free to ask general question about the licenses in the
cc-licenses mailing list. Part of the fun of this discussion will be, I hope, that we
get to compare the quirks and eccentricities of our respective nations'
copyright laws.
I expect the archived discussions to serve as a history of this
experience. That way, your input will continue be useful to anyone from any country
evenafter the discussion in the UK is completed.

I hope that these suggestions will help to make the discussion free and
healthy, yet focused on suggested changes to the licenses.

Thank you very much. It's now Yo'av Mazeh's discussion to lead,
all the best,
Christiane

Christiane Asschenfeldt
International Commons Coordinator