cc-sampling - RE: [cc-sampling] a question about music specifically

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: "Kirkman, Catherine" <CKirkman AT wsgr.com>
  • To: "mark / negativland" <markhosler AT charter.net>, "Glenn Otis Brown" <glenn AT creativecommons.org>, cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: "Raina, Kalinda" <KRaina AT wsgr.com>
  • Subject: RE: [cc-sampling] a question about music specifically
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:56:34 -0700

I thought I saw someone already respond on this, but anyway here's my input:

It is correct that because there are two sets of rights involved, the
musician will need to control both sets in order to grant the license and
comply with the warranty that the use is non-infringing. The sampler needs a
mechanical license for use of the song in the sample, and a master use
license for use of the sound recording. The compulsory license does not
apply when the basic melody or fundamental character of the original song is
changed, so this is generally not an option for sampling.

In terms of building this into the license, I agree that this goes to the
prior discussion about third party rights. Obviously we can't alter third
party rights with the license, so either the artist must contribute only his
own work (or works for which he has secured all the necessary rights for all
the sampling reuses) or the warranty needs to be modified in some way, such
as to permit the artist to disclose exceptions (e.g., "no rights are granted
to re-use of XXX musical composition, which must be cleared by the
licensee").

I guess another way to address this would be for the artist to carefully
define what he is licensing -- e.g., sound recordings only, so he is not
granting any license to the musical composition, but a lot of people would
probably forget to do this or not understand this, and a lot of licensees
would likely be confused and end up with problems.

This is not intended as individual legal advice and does not create any
attorney-client relationship. These comments reflect our preliminary
judgment that is expressed in a short-hand manner, is subject to revision and
is not for reliance by any party.