cc-pl - Re: [Cc-pl] CC i DRM

cc-pl AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Polska

  • From: Alek Tarkowski <alek.tarkowski AT creativecommons.pl>
  • To: Creative Commons Polska <cc-pl AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-pl] CC i DRM
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:33:08 +0200

Czesc,

CC nie wspiera projektu Open Media Commons (dla niewtajemniczonych, proba stworzenia "otwartej" (open source) technologii DRM przez Sun) - choc zbieznosc nazw oraz obecnosc linku do CC na stronie projektu moze wprowadzac w blad.

Dla mnie przydatny byl komentarz Cory'ego Doctorowa, zamieszczony na BoingBoing (http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/23/what_the_is_an_open_.html):

*What the *&^%#!? is an "open source DRM?"*
Sun has launched an "open source DRM" project called "Open Media Commons." I have spent hours reading their docs and I've spoken with their project lead on this and I can't make any sense of it -- how can you have a technology that restricts what users do (DRM) while allowing users to modify it, including in ways that remove the restrictions (open source), and what is the word "commons" doing there when Creative Commons licenses forbid the use of DRM in connection with the more than 17,000,000 Creative Commons-licensed works in circulation? EFF's put out a short advisory about this (http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/003928.php):

Yesterday, Sun Microsystems announced its new "Open Media Commons,"
with a goal of "[s]pecify[ing] open, royalty-free digital rights
management and codec standards" to "ensur[e] intellectual property
protection." The problem with this approach is that making DRM
"open" and "royalty-free" doesn't make it any less damaging and
counter-productive.

People have the legal right to make fair uses of content. They have
the legal right to use materials in the public domain. They have the
legal right to use publicly owned works, such as government-gathered
facts. Any software system, open or not, that blocks us from making
these legal uses of our digital content is bad, especially when the
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) makes it illegal for us to
circumvent the copyright protection to make these legal uses.

This "Open Media Commons" says a lot about fostering sharing and so
forth, but there's precious little to indicate that it will be any
less threatening than the Microsoft DRM that it's supposed to
challenge.

pozdrowienia,

alek

--