cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Submissions on Copyright Reform in Australia

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Richard White <richard.white AT otago.ac.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Submissions on Copyright Reform in Australia
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 01:39:48 +0000

We discussed the flexible approach a la US fair use and whether it would work here in the copyright session at NetHui South, led by Ross Young, who is Google NZ’s policy manager.  An independent study has shown the system is actually worth some unimaginable number of dollars to the US economy (report is here: http://www.ccianet.org/CCIA/files/ccLibraryFiles/Filename/000000000354/fair-use-study-final.pdf ) because of the way it enables knowledge and content to flow more freely, sparking innovation and trillions of dollars of exports.  Australian research, conducted by Lateral Economics, predicted a similar benefit if adopted over there, coming up with the figure of an AU$600 million benefit from flexible exceptions to copyright ( http://digital.org.au/content/LateralEconomicsReports ).

At the NetHui there wasn’t much discussion of this, though Ross tried to get some discussion going specifically on this point, largely I think  because I think it’s a bit more advanced than most people understanding of the copyright debate (e.g. music/movie execs are rich, therefore shouldn’t care about people downloading their movies).  But I spoke up in favour of it – obviously representing the perspective of someone working in a tertiary organisation for which access to knowledge is vital and greater flexibility would remove a lot of barriers for us.  There still needs to be the right balance for creators of content of course; but the legal framework needs to reflect the environment we find ourselves in and to promote the adoption of business models that work with this environment.

We find ourselves in this situation partly because whenever we do trade deals with the US we get a whole lot of restrictions imposed but don’t have the balancing power that they have in fair use.

RW