cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Non-Commercial or Commerical Rights Reserved?

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Non-Commercial or Commerical Rights Reserved?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 00:33:28 +1300

Kia ora koutou

Name changes are painful, for all the reasons Matt has described, and many others. However, the CC suite has been through such painful changes before, such as the removal of all the licenses which did not assert the right to attribution. The result was a less confusing license suite, which was the worth the pain.

As I mentioned during our discussion on the free culture arguments against "Non-Commercial" (which I agree with Richard is an entirely separate issue), I have seen enough cases of NC being used by people confused about what it means to believe there is a problem to be solved. NC prevents significant  chunks of the commons being included in public service works like Wikipedia and Appropedia.org. The combination of NC with Share-Alike, as I've mentioned before, allows the NC condition to spread virally through other chunks of the commons, such as CCMixter.

I believe the pain *is* worth the name change to Commercial Rights Reserved for version 4.0 of the CC suite. It's worth pointing out that version 3.0 - like the previous versions - will continue to exist, and that there's no reason people who are used to the NC terminology can't continue using it (and distribute literature mentioning it) for a transition period that could last for a couple of years.

Hei kōnā
Strypey