cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Non-Commercial or Commerical Rights Reserved?

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Richard White <richard.white AT otago.ac.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Non-Commercial or Commerical Rights Reserved?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 21:12:07 +0000

Hi Matt,

I made my own contribution to one of the lists, essentially arguing that more education about what NC really means would be better placed before making a name change with all the things that implies (not least, the piles of brochures that probably sit under your desk).  While I actually like the proposed name better (CRR), on balance I haven’t been convinced that the benefit would be enough to justify the pain of change.  Ultimately, in my view, it’s just a name and I think we would be better to focus efforts on education that your use of the material must be non-commercial, not that your organisation must be non-commercial.

Much of the debate has been distracted by what to me is a separate issue about free/non-free licences, i.e. whether CC should include anything like NC at all.

Richard

Richard White | Subject Matter Expert, Student Management System Project & University Copyright Officer

Darwin House | 61 Clyde Street | University of Otago | Dunedin | New Zealand

Te Whare o Darwin | 61 Clyde Street | Te Whare Wānanga o Otago | Ōtepoti | Aotearoa

richard.white AT otago.ac.nz | rkawhite on Twitter | Copyright info for staff & students | Open Otago blog | LinkedIn