cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Protecting copyright at any cost? - was Archiving the web for posterity

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Protecting copyright at any cost? - was Archiving the web for posterity
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 11:22:05 +1300

Kiaora koutou

On 3 December 2012 22:33, Sutherland, Paul <Paul.Sutherland AT ccc.govt.nz>
wrote:
>> Whether you see the Kim Dotcom fiasco as a saga, a tragedy or a farce I
>> stand by the comments that "Mega Upload facilitated the illegal
>> duplication and sharing of copyright material"

As did Napster, PirateBay et al. before them <<

In the same way that the manufacturers of kitchen knives "facilitate"
any stabbing that takes place using them.

>> I am also intrigued that the article you cite does not have any
>> indication of its copyright status - or date of publication - but from the
>> Generator meta tag IBM WebSphere Homepage Builder V4.0.0 for Linux I am
>> guessing about 2002. <<

That would be about right, it was published at the time of the Napster
case. It's both sad and frustrating how relevant it is to the spin
used to justify the attacks on MegaUpload and its users 10 years
later.

>> AND I will try to hold my tongue now on this issue. Nuances sometimes hard
>> to convey by email. <<

Speak freely. Just imagine you're writing to your Granny, not some
stranger hunched over a computer somewhere ;)

Hei kōnā

BTW Yes, I need to take my own advice. I probably wouldn't write a
four paragraph rant like that to my Granny :P

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407