cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Statement to NZ On Air about the funding of documentaries

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Statement to NZ On Air about the funding of documentaries
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:47:22 +1200

Kia ora koutou

I just sent this message off to NZ On Air in reponse to their request
for public feedback about the funding of kiwi documentaries. The
information about the feedback process came through from SaveTVNZ7,
who now have a new name: Coalition for Better Broadcasting.

Hei kōnā
Strypey

He mihi nui

Thank you for the opportunity to feed back to the documentary
discussion paper. I am doing so as an enthusiastic viewer of Aotearoa/
NZ documentaries and advocate of CreativeCommons Aotearoa/NZ.

In answer to questions 5 & 6, regarding strategies to stimulate
change, I support the following:

Provide small blocks of funding to locally-based producers making
documentary series and features about Aotearoa/ NZ, who intend to
release their work directly to the internet. There are now many
international 'public service broadcasters', who provide free access
to quality audio-visual programs via the web, and accept voluntary
donations to cover costs and reward film-makers. Examples include the
documentary 'Us Now' hosted by Vodo.net, and the News and Politics
section of Blip.tv (http://blip.tv/news-money-and-politics-videos).

Support and encourage documentary-makers who are willing to release
their work under a CreativeCommons (CC) license. CC licenses offer
authors and artists a copyright-protected right to get due credit for
their work, while allowing audiences to copy the work in any way, and
share it with others if they think it has value, without violating
copyright. CC licenses support the mission of public broadcasting by
guaranteeing the public a right of access to publicly-funded programs,
by whatever medium is suitable to them. More information about the use
of CC in Aotearoa/ NZ can be found at:
http://www.creativecommons.org.nz/

I think it makes the most sense to combine these two proposals.
Internet release of documentaries through a site like OnDemand or
YouTube - which does not allow copying - limits access to only those
members of the public who have broadband connections and large
bandwidth allowances. Access to a CC-licensed documentary is of
limited use if the work is not available through widely-accessible
media like the internet. A CC-licensed documentary work available for
download on the internet can make its way through the public; by
direct download from the web, by peer-to-peer sharing networks like
BitTorrent, by digital copying among audience members, and by the
self-funded printing and distribution of DVD copies; and will do so to
the extent that anyone finds it enlightening, and worth the time to
watch.

I also support the proposals of SaveTVNZ7/ Coalition for Better Broadcasting:

Open up funding to regional channels and any non-commercial public
service TV channels in future.

Stop funding reality TV and popular factual shows that should be
funded by the broadcasters. Please fund more Kiwi documentaries that
include critical scrutiny, analysis and treat audiences like adults.

Fund more lower budget documentaries rather than fewer big budget
documentaries so that more subjects can be covered and with less need
for them to appear on mainstream channels.

I ask that NZ on Air keeps the public interest in mind. We are the
most important stakeholders you have, and our priorities for the use
of public funds trump the short-term fiscal interests of the handful
of for-profit broadcasting conglomerates who now own most of the
broadcast media in this country.

Naku noa
Danyl Strype
Community Developer
http://www.disintermedia.net.nz/

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"freedom is participation in power.”
- Cicero

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407

  • [Cc-nz] Statement to NZ On Air about the funding of documentaries, Danyl Strype, 08/19/2012