cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Copyright Monopoly Goes Insane

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Copyright Monopoly Goes Insane
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 00:56:01 +1300

Kia ora koutou

Here is another disturbing example of all-rights-reserved copyright
overstepping its original mission of rewarding and stimulating
creativity, and doing exactly the opposite:
http://falkvinge.net/2012/01/26/copyright-monopoly-goes-insane-non-copy-judged-as-infringing/

There came a time in the history of the USA when a slave owner, even a
kind slave owner who cared about his slaves and used their labour for
the common good, had to decide whether to stand and fight on the side
of slave ownership, or the side of slave freedom. I think the time has
come when copyright owners have to decide whether to stand and fight
on the side of creative ownership, or creative freedom.

My message to artists and creators in all fields is this: choose well.

Kia kaha
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"freedom is participation in power.”
- Cicero

"Allowing the university to be turned into the tool of business is
allowing it to be corrupted."
- Richard Stallman
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/Stallman.xml

"There is tenderness only in the coarsest demand: that no-one should
go hungry any more. That children go hungry, that they will be cold
and starving, and uncared for this winter, right here in New York,
condemns every fine word said in favor of the current social order by
the sock puppets whose fine, well paid job it is to find excuses for
it."
- Theodor Adorno