cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] CreativeCommons Kiwi uploaded to Archive.org in Webm and Theora

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: NZOSS Open Discussion List <openchat AT lists.nzoss.org.nz>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] CreativeCommons Kiwi uploaded to Archive.org in Webm and Theora
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 23:35:36 +1200

Kia ora koutou

On 10 July 2011 13:57, Leigh Blackall <leighblackall AT gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm not familiar with mkv or webm, but am reading up about them on
>> Wikipedia. It seems Archive's in-browser viewer can't handle them either.
>> <<

For anyone else who is unfamilar with these formats, .mkv is Matroska,
an open container format, usually containing video in Theora format,
and audio in Vorbis format. Matroska is possibly a better format for
importing into video editing software:
http://downloads.xiph.org/websites/xiph.org/container/

WebM is a new open format recently released last year by Google,
intended for streaming on the web (thus the name). The WebM container
format is based on Matroska. It usually contains video in VP8 format
(bought by Google along with the On2 company, and released as an open
format), and Vorbis audio:
http://www.webmproject.org/about/

Since Archive.org is set up for streaming Ogg containers, feel free to
add an .ogg version of the video to that item. I imagine Archive and
Wikimedia Commons will be adding support for WebM sooner or later,
since it is being supported as a standard (with HTML5 <-video-> tags)
by Mozilla, Chrome, and Opera, with plug-ins available for IE and
Safari.

For my next trick, I'd like to get hold of a copy of the uncompressed
original that the MP4 on Vimeo was made from, and make an open format
high-quality version for use on classroom projectors etc

He mihi mahana

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"freedom is participation in power.”
- Cicero

"Allowing the university to be turned into the tool of business is
allowing it to be corrupted."
Richard Stallman
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/Stallman.xml

"The content industry has done a good job convincing the world that
the internet will enable what they call 'piracy' That has obscured the
fact that the internet will also enable an extraordinary potential for
creativity. And it has obscured the fact that the weapons they use to
eradicate 'piracy' will also destroy the environment for this
'creativity.' They spray DDT to kill a gnat. We say: 'Silent Spring.'"
_Lawrence Lessig
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/digitalmedia/lessig.htm