cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] CreativeCommons Kiwi uploaded to Archive.org in Webm and Theora

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Leigh Blackall <leighblackall AT gmail.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] CreativeCommons Kiwi uploaded to Archive.org in Webm and Theora
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:57:22 +1000

This is what I see in the Archive HTTP directory:
CreativecommonsKiwi_files.xml                      10-Jul-2011 01:00                1159
CreativecommonsKiwi_meta.xml                       10-Jul-2011 01:00                1429
ccKiwi.mkv                                         09-Jul-2011 23:37            90566484
ccKiwi.webm                                        09-Jul-2011 23:34            72164296
I'm not familiar with mkv or webm, but am reading up about them on Wikipedia. It seems Archive's in-browser viewer can't handle them either.
What I would normally have done is, upload original AVI/MP4/WMV to Archive, and wait for it to generate a compressed MP4 and Ogg in the directory. Usually takes about an hour or so, and they get listed in the main page. Then I download the Ogg and put it up on Wikimedia Commons.