cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Trademark legal stuff - please help!

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Sam Stephens <sam AT postmoderncore.com>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa (NZ)" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Trademark legal stuff - please help!
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:54:18 +1300

Does anyone on list know about trademark and copyright matters? I've
just had someone emailing telling me that Tangent (one of the aliases
I've been using for the last more than ten years) infringes upon their
US Federal trademark for Tangent Records (www.tangentrecords.com) from 1989.

My take is that there is no possible confusion between Tangent the
artist and Tangent Records the label, and there's no case. Having a
number of albums associated with this alias I really would prefer not to
have to stop using it. A search for Tangent Music on Google also reveals
a number of other groups and labels named Tangent or similar, so I don't
see that the trademark is that well protected.

I can't afford to spend money getting a legal opinion on this as my
musical activities are loss making, so any advice from those who know
would be much appreciated.

Thanks all

--
postmoderncore netlabel
http://postmoderncore.com/

  • [Cc-nz] Trademark legal stuff - please help!, Sam Stephens, 01/28/2011