cc-nz - [Cc-nz] PublicACTA stalls on World Unicorn Day

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Danyl Strype" <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: cc-nz <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: jordan jordan <jordan AT internetnz.net.nz>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] PublicACTA stalls on World Unicorn Day
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:01:26 +1200

Kia ora koutou

Jane has brought to my attention that it is "World Intellectual Property Day" on Mon April 26:
http://www.wipo.int/ip-outreach/en/ipday/

I think it would be a great opportunity to do some public outreach on the issues around ACTA. The easiest thing would be to run a stall(s) in town somewhere, hand out copies of the Wellington Declaration from the PublicACTA meeting and encourage people to sign it. Maybe also a leaflet or brochure explaining a bit more about ACTA - eg the basic information in the FAQ on the PublicACTA site. This would be a chance for us to contribute to the longer term work of educating the public about information freedoms, and how tools like ACTA threaten them, and a reality check for us about what (if anything) the public know about these issues outside of the free culture bubble.

If we can think of something a bit more ambitious, that would look quirky or interesting on tv (some kind of art, street theatre etc), there might be an opportunity to get some media coverage of the Declaration and the issues is raises.

If I was organizing this as a Disintermedia action, I would include a rejection of the whole notion of "intellectual property", a brief summary of the origins of and purpose of copyright, patents and trademarks, and some commentary about how these origins and purposes are being subverted by the big-money interests who lump them together as "intellectual property", and work to continually expand their scope, duration etc. Ideally I would have someone in a unicorn suit, with a big Miss World sash saying "intellectual property" ;)

However, I am happy to leave this aside, and focus on the more immediate concerns around ACTA if others who don't share this view would like to work with me on this action. I hope you wouldn't mind me having some Disintermedia leaflets on the table that raise those issues though.

Anyway, if anyone would like to contribute to this effort, email me off-list, as it's somewhat off-topic. If anything gets organized, I will be sure to let you all know through an announcement on the list.

Ka nui te mihi
Danyl

--
"A free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular."
- Adlai E. Stevenson Jr

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind."
- Dr Suess

http://strypey.orconhosting.net.nz/contacts.html

  • [Cc-nz] PublicACTA stalls on World Unicorn Day, Danyl Strype, 04/13/2010