cc-nz - [Cc-nz] CCANZ in 2009/2010

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Jane Hornibrook <janehornibrook AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] CCANZ in 2009/2010
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 00:58:10 +1300

Thanks Paul Suthland, Ian Thompson and Paul Reynolds for your thoughts. I will try to answer some of your queries.

Curiously I'm making this point despite, as far as I know, still being a Board member of the the Humanities Network Board.
Given that it hasn't met for an eaon - and its current status is unknown - this is hardly surprising - but it is, at least to me, another part of my concern.

I can't answer on behalf of the HRN board as to why it hasn't met over the 2009 period, but that in it's absence I was fortunately able to report directly to the Council for the Humanities. Dr Lousie O'Brien retired from the Humanities Research Network early this year, and I have been attempting to maintain it's website at a bare minimum since then as there hasn't been a replacement for her.

I cant see the two forums mentioned - i looked at http://www.humanitiesresearch.net/collaborative_forum/digital_strategy maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Try here: http://www.humanitiesresearch.net/forums/general/humanities_within_the_royal_society

An explanation (without implying an excuse) as to why there has been a lack of transparency surrounding the developments within CCANZ.

In answer to your question Paul about the lack of work being done on CCANZ during February 2010 (and your reference to academic holidays), there are no academics working on this project. In fact, CCANZ has consisted this year of Stephanie and of myself, an inexperienced graduate, employed to maintain the "website", on part time hours, with little to no organisational resources and with zero certainty about any future of CCANZ two months in advance. This scenario hasn't left much room for the publication of discussion papers. If leave was not taken during the month of January, and discussions started back in February, CCANZ would not be able to sustain its part time staff during the critical period of mid-2010 when funding and project jurisdiction matters will be finalised.

Of course CCANZ should not be run like this, hence the purpose of the HRN board. Stephanie and I have not forgotten that CC needs an independent and multi-sector governance for CC next year within a new host, and the RSNZ have also recognised the need for a revived independant structure in the spirit of the HRN board.

CCANZ founder, Dr Brian Opie retired from the Council in 2008, and Stephanie Pietkiewicz has been extremely helpful in initiating discussions with various parties and intuitions about the way forward for CCANZ, and advocating for the project within the Council for the Humanities (which has unfortunately decided at this late stage not to keep it). It was never my wish to keep the intentions of the Council and its decision on CCANZ "veiled", but have found the dynamics around it's negotiations with the RSNZ (which invariably include those of CCANZ) haven't made it easy for either Stephanie or I to initiate public feedback.

For these reasons I have failed to

1. Encourage the appropriate people to maintain the HRN board function, or encourage more transparency for Council business.

2. Develop a system whereby the community and stakeholders can become involved in the beginning of the decision making process.

3. Acquaint myself fully with the process in which CCANZ was first brought to New Zealand, and realise the protocols and procedures that should surround further actions.

I am deeply sorry for this incompetency, and that I've let you down. I will try my to ensure that the project is furnished next year with the relevant expertise and experience when I leave the CCANZ as soon as I am able.

With regards,

Jane

--
Jane Hornibrook