cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Ogg Vorbis/ Creative Commons licensing

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: strypes <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: steviestarrmanagement AT gmail.com, "cc-nz >> Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Ogg Vorbis/ Creative Commons licensing
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:37:45 +1200

Kia ora Stevie

Saw the article about your new new album/ single/ .mp3 download project.
http://thesteviestarr.com/
I'm really impressed, both with the idealism behind the project, and the
quality of the single, which I'm listening to right now. I agree that
music is primarily about shared culture, not commerce, and that we need
to defend the freedoms of artists and audiences. Great work!

I wonder if you have considered supporting a couple of free culture
initiatives that might be relevant to your work. Firstly I notice that
like most artists, you are using .mp3 format, which is a proprietary
format owned by one corporation. There is an open alternative, Ogg
Vorbis (www.vorbis.com), which Radio NZ is now offering as an option for
downloading their podcasts. Secondly, there is CreativeCommons
licensing. CC Aotearoa/ NZ have now completed the project of 'porting'
these licenses into a local context. For more info about CC licensing
and the CC ANZ project, check out the website:
http://www.creativecommons.org.nz/

Kia kaha
Danyl Strype

--
BTW Defend free culture and the open internet!
http://www.disintermedia.net.nz

"...Marxism was a simple substitute for Christianity. Replace God with
Marx, Satan with the bourgeoisie, Heaven with a classless society, the
Church with the Party, and the form and purpose of the journey remained
similar - an obstacle race with a prize at the end."
- Arundhati Roy, 'The God of Small Things'

http://www.creativecommons.org.nz
http://www.indymedia.org.nz

  • [Cc-nz] Ogg Vorbis/ Creative Commons licensing, strypes, 04/29/2009