cc-nz - [Cc-nz] A question!

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Zoe Drayton <zoe AT audiofoundation.org.nz>
  • To: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] A question!
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:11:55 +1300

Hi All
Happy New Year
We run a charitable trust called the Audio Foundation where artists can upload their music for listening purposes under the Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 New Zealand.

An artist has just written and asked this:

I wonder if you can clarify the situation regarding posting material to the site that has been previously issued under full copyright.

I want to upload some of my electroacoustic pieces, and I'd be happy for them to be there under a Creative Commons license for non-commercial use. However, they are registered with APRA for the collection of performance royalties for broadcast, public performance, etc. I'm not sure whether the works can be under different licences in different contexts, or whether the agreement I have with APRA precludes that. (Unfortunately I can't find a copy of that agreement to see exactly what it says.)

I'm having no luck getting a sensible answer from APRA on this--I get the impression they don't understand Creative Commons at all, and even regard it as threatening. What's your perspective? What have other artists done? (I presume there are other APRA members among the contributors to the site?)

Thanks very much"

I have suggested that in the meantime, that it be presented as non downloadable - which is an option on the site. But would anyone be able to help us with this at all?
Any help would be much appreciated

very best
Zoe

The Audio Foundation
PO Box 68518,
Newton,
Auckland 1145
NZ

For the support of innovative audio culture in New Zealand