cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Australian National Innovation Review recommends Creative Commons

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: strypes <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Australian National Innovation Review recommends Creative Commons
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:15:20 +1200

Kia ora

elliott bledsoe wrote:

> Most importantly from an open access point of view, it was
> Recommendation 7.8 which is most exciting:
>
> "Australian governments should adopt international standards of open
> publishing as far as possible. Material released for public information
> by Australian governments should be released under a creative commons
> licence."

The crucial issue is *which* CC license. Should it be commercial, or
non-commercial? non-derivus, or share-alike? Having cross the first
speed bump of acceptance of 'open' licensing, the next challenge is to
examine the arguments for and against 'free' licensing. For more info
about the distinction between the two, I collected some informative
links and put them on the cc.org.nz forum:
http://www.creativecommons.org.nz/forums/creative_commons_and_commercial_art/arguments_against_non_commercial_licensing

RnB
Strypey

--
“To use proprietary software is to invite the developer to put his boot
on your neck. It’s power that nobody should have.”

http://www.creativecommons.org.nz
http://www.indymedia.org.nz