cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Lobbying efforts...

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Sam Searle <sam.searle AT mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
  • To: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Lobbying efforts...
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:51:37 +1200

It would be great if as well as lobbying our heritage institutions, we could also lobby the funders that could help those cultural organisations to do this kind of work. Lack of awareness amongst cultural professionals isn't necessarily the biggest barrier here.

The administrative processes involved in rights management are costly and time-consuming for libraries, archives and museums, and sadly are almost devoid of the 'sexiness' that seems to get things funded. These organisations are pushed to the limit right now - mandates and public expectations are expanding (quite rightly so), but where's the support for these increased activities?

This is particularly true for retrospective processes - perhaps we might see more benefit if we focussed on helping those organisations work through what's required to change their processes for their future acquisitions?

Cheers
Sam

Sam Searle
E-Research Development Coordinator
Room 235, Cotton Building
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
Tel +64 4 463 6613 Fax +64-4-463 5045
E-mail sam.searle AT vuw.ac.nz
Calendar http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/~sam/calendar.html

Re: [Cc-nz] Otago Polytech (was: Draft licence for consultation)