cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Copyright Bill introduced

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Brett Taylor" <brett AT webfroot.co.nz>
  • To: anarchist AT tracs.co.ns, "Creative Commons Aotearoa (NZ)" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Copyright Bill introduced
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:46:03 +1300

There seems to be some pretty exciting things in here:
* Legal to format-shift for private use - iPods no longer illegal!
* Legal for ISPs to cache - yay!
* ISPs are absolved of responsibility for infringment by their customers - yay!
* exemptions for decompiling and error correction of software -- O_O!!!  (is DRM a bug?)

...among other really good things, some of which look to be pretty well thought out.

But it's also legalising DRM and ERMI, and other digital copyright protection mechanisms, and putting penalties in place for commercial infringment, which is nice, but I'm afraid that of what it will mean to the consumer... IANAL -- What should we do about this?

It also seems to outlaw Sky Digital in public bars...  but not in clubs or societies like the RSA... ?  I guess though, if you're a bar owner with Sky Digital, you're probably paying commercial rates anyway, not residental rates, and that probably comes with permission to perform these 'communications works' to punters on your premises.

It also prevents free-to-air programs being broadcast on cable tv without permission, which sucks for the consumers -- I hope everyone can get along if this gets through...

There's probably heaps more in there... keep digging!