cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] The Creative Anti-Commons

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Hamish MacEwan" <hamish.macewan AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa (NZ)" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] The Creative Anti-Commons
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 19:39:56 +1300

On 12/3/06, strypey AT riseup.net <strypey AT riseup.net> wrote:

Damian, just thought this was worth sharing as I have seen very few
articles by anyone critical of CC and I think considering critical
viewpoints helps us towards a richer understanding of what we are
advocating for.

Yes, I think its always helpful to examine something from the
perspective of a critic, but I think their analysis founders on
hypersensitivity to the consumer/producer dichotomy. I'm no fan of
the "creative" elite and consuming hoi polloi that sometimes colors
people's thinking around this area. There have been too many posts of
late in the blogosphere about the 1,9,90 split (1% produce, 9% comment
or correct, 90% consume.) Despite the research, people continue to
behave as if the 1% was constant over the entire Internet, nonsense of
course. The split may be true, generally, on a site by site basis,
but the notion that the WWW is the result of 1% of contributors is
farcical.

Actually I agree with many of the points you've raised here. I would add
that the key benefit of CC licenses is that they explicitly allow the
work to be obtained and shared with others without legal or financial
barriers.

I would agree by emphasising that it simplifies "creation with
optional limited protection" and the licensing of content to a degree
that allows *anyone* to be a producer, and thus, removes the elitism
of the "creative" role. Yes, 98% of it will still be crud, but the
mass of which 2% will be good (and a different 2% for every taste)
will more than compensate for the decline of the "blockbuster."

I do have some sympathy for looking beyond the producer/consumer split
model. To paraphrase Hakim Bey, rather than an artist being a special
kind of person, each person is a special kind of artist.

I never would believe that Providence had sent a few men
into the world, ready booted and spurred to ride, and
millions ready saddled and bridled to be ridden.
-- Walt Whitman, American poet

Strypey

Hamish.
--