cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Project lead and license draft (was: aotearoa.creativecommons.org)

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "strypey AT riseup.net" <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa (NZ)" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Project lead and license draft (was: aotearoa.creativecommons.org)
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:02:24 +1300

Kia ora koutou ko Ian

Ian Thomson wrote:
> We are close to getting an agreement with Auckland University to be the
> Project Lead.

Excellent news. As explained in the process documents on the CC.org site
the Project Lead doesn't need to do all or any of the grunt work (legal
or otherwise) although the more time and energy they want to put in the
better. The only things we'd definitely need them to do is liaise with
the legal team at iCommons and check that the any local licenses drafted
are properly compatible with NZ law. Their primary role is to give the
iCommons team peace of mind that someone with recognised expertise and
reputation in local law is overseeing the translation ;)

> Richard Niven did produce a first draft of the attribution lisense.
> Did you
> send a copy of that to Eva?

I'm not sure I've received it. Would you be able to send it through to
Eva? It would be good to let her and the team check in on our progress
but I suspect it won't carry as much weight until it's coming from a
formalised Project Lead.

I am happy to continue being part of the liason efforts with iCommons,
thanks to Indymedia I have some experience in the collaborative
management of global network of regionally based project groups. However
I think considering the co-ordination roles you, Brian and others are
playing in the legal and institutional support areas, it would be
valuable for both you to make direct contact with Eva and introduce
yourselves, if you havn't already.

> On the launch side, I fear we may not be sufficiently organised to go for
> thew 4th as we have planned.
> I will meet with a few of the key players today and see what we will
> do and
> get back to you.

I think it's important not to rush things. The relationship with
iCommons is important to the success of the project and I think it would
be wise for us to work through the process they have outlined. Of course
that doesn't stop any of us continuing to promote the use of CC licenses
through our networks, encourage public debate around concepts like 'free
culture' and 'information commons' and keeping interested folk informed
of the progress on the localisation project in the meantime.

RnB
Strypey