cc-nz - [Cc-nz] The WIRED CD - could we do something similar?

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] The WIRED CD - could we do something similar?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 04:16:01 +1300

Kia ora koutou

Was just searching for something else and stumbled on this CD of CC-licensed tunes put out by Wired magazine to promote CC licensing. It features some big name artists (Beastie Boys, David Byrne of Talking Heads, Le Tigre, Dan the Automater of Gorillaz fame) and uses the sampling licenses, a newer set of licenses aimed at giving artists more licensing options around derivative works.
http://creativecommons.org/wired/

How about we put something similar together to promote CC Aotearoa? We could talk to lots of kiwi musicians and try to find at least a few big names who are willing to support what we're doing. The first people I'd approach would be Loop Recordings who may be keen to help us with production and distribution.

In the interim we could produce our own distribution of the Wired CD, although the non-commercial license means we would need funding of some kind to cover the costs of blank CDs and making the covers.

If we do either of these projects I think it would be neat to put digital files of the songs on the CD as well. Although the licenses would allow people to rip them from CD and distribute them anyway, we could have them encoded in open formats (eg .ogg Vorbis or .ogg FLAC) with some information about .ogg support (software, plugins etc) and the advantages of open standards.

If anyone thinks this is a worthy idea, how about talking to anyone you know in the music scene about it and see if you can whip up some interest?

RnB
Strypey

--
"Without love a beating heart is just a clock ticking."
- quoted in the movie 'Equilibrium'

mobile: 021 11 77 578
Community Webspace: http://www.enzyme.org.nz/
Artist Rights: http://www.creativecommons.org/

Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express. Windows on a PC
block viruses like windows on a house block sunlight ;)

  • [Cc-nz] The WIRED CD - could we do something similar?, Danyl Strype, 10/24/2006