cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Volunteering for anything Advocacy related.

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Brett Taylor" <brett AT webfroot.co.nz>
  • To: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Volunteering for anything Advocacy related.
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:51:11 +1200

Hi all CC people out there,

From the Minutes of the last meeting
3. Communications and consultation plan, list serves, Wiki and public
events and workshops

I'm really keen to help out with anything advocacy related in any way I can.

I'm a web development and multimedia tutor who advocates for Creative
Commons in his work role, and has taken several theory sessions on
Copyright and its alternatives with students who already don't know
much about copyright as is, and always 'convert' a couple per class.

I also release most of my creations under an CC Attribution licence,
so I'm practicing what I'm preaching.

I'm an introvert, yet people say I have people skills. I guess it's
being a pretty good listener, and always keen to help people out. Due
to my geeky nature, I am told I have a good knack at explaining
technical things in plain English.

I'm pretty passionate about the CC movement, especially because
Digital Rights Management (DRM) and copyright are imprisoning today's
culture. The story from "We The Media" by Dan Brown about the
filmmaker who sought permission from Fox to use 4 seconds of a
thumbnail of The Simpsons and was quoted $10,000 even though it was
within fair use rights is a great example of what really gets me angry
and passionate about it all. Cory Doctorow's anti-DRM speeches are
also great sources of advocacy material.

Anyway, I'm all signed up and rearing to go! Let me know how I can help out!

--
Brett Taylor
Webmaster