cc-nz - [Cc-nz] FW: Use of Creative Commons in New Zealand

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "David Underwood" <david.underwood AT maxim.org.nz>
  • To: <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] FW: Use of Creative Commons in New Zealand
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 15:37:10 +1200

-----Original Message-----
From: Danyl Strype [mailto:strypey AT riseup.net]
Sent: Wednesday, 29 March 2006 7:20 p.m.
To: David Underwood
Subject: Re: Use of Creative Commons in New Zealand

Kia ora koutou ko David

Quoting David Underwood <david.underwood AT maxim.org.nz>:

>> I have been looking into the use of Creative Commons on New Zealand
websites which has lead me here. I'm excited that the Creative Common
ball is rolling for .nz <<

Great to hear from you David. Things are moving along slowly but
surely. One thing we really need is a lawyer with some copyright
experience who would be willing to be the 'project lead' for
translating the licenses into NZ law. If you have any idea how to find
such a person please sing out!

>> I'd like to know what the current status of using Creative Commons in
New Zealand is? Does it hold up legally? <<

I don't know of any cases where it's been tested by the courts yet.
But the advice from a lawyer friend of mine is that it falls under
contract law, since a person implicitly accepts the terms of the
license when they read/ listen/ view the CC'd material. So on that
basis it should be enforcable.

>> Do we use the generic Creative Commons licenses or is it best to
>> use the Australian ones (being a little closer to home)? <<

Good question. So far I've been using the generic ones but I've only
recently become aware of the Oz localisation. I don't know how the
differences between NZ and US law would compare to those between NZ
and Oz law. What do others think?

If it wasn't for this project I might have suggested going for the Oz
licenses but I think it would be cooler if people use the generic ones
until the NZ ones are ready. Again, what do others think?

RnB
Strypey

--
"Without love a beating heart is just a clock ticking."
- quoted in the movie 'Equilibrium'

mobile: 021 11 77 578
Community Webspace: http://www.enzyme.org.nz/
Artist Rights: http://www.creativecommons.org/

Thunderbird instead of Outlook Express. Windows on a PC
block viruses like windows on a house block sunlight ;)