cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] [cc-tab] Publishing assertions for license translations

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>, cc-tab <cc-tab AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] [cc-tab] Publishing assertions for license translations
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:57:33 -0800

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Alan Ruttenberg
<alanruttenberg AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Nathan Yergler
> <nathan AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
>> The CC license deeds are available in many languages, and users
>> sometimes link to the language-specific deed (ie,
>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/deed.es). We want to ensure
>> that we're publishing RDFa describing the license itself, and not a
>> translation. We also want to make sure agents can follow their nose
>> from the translation to the actual license. The question we're trying
>> to answer is what predicates to use to model that translation
>> relationship. Things I've looked at:
>>
>> * Dublin Core doesn't seem to have anything translation-specific
>> (although hasVersion/isVersionOf --
>> http://www.dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-hasVersion --
>> looks like it'd be a reasonable generic approach, or something to
>> refine if we do our own).
>>
>> * One instantiation of the FRBR model,
>> http://vocab.org/frbr/core.html, includes translation and
>> translationOf predicates
>> (http://vocab.org/frbr/core.html#translation). This would imply the
>> Licenses are "creative or artistic endeavors".
>
> Yes. However in their interpretation, an intellectual creation is a
> "creative or artistic endeavor", as #Work is defined as: "A class
> whose members are an abstract notion of an artistic or intellectual
> creation.", and work is a subclass of #Endeavor: "A class whose
> members are any of the products of artistic or creative endeavour."
>
> This is not an official version of FRBR by the people who created
> FRBR, and there are others
> (http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2007/12/interpretations-of-frbr-classes.html,
> http://code.google.com/p/frbr-dl/source/browse/trunk/ontology/2010-10-20-frbr.owl)
> . I don't know if there is an official one. It isn't particularly well

I don't think there's an official one. While I'm not a FRBR expert by
any stretch, my understanding is that it only defines a set of
requirements and abstract model, without mandating an actual concrete
implementation/model. Seems like we could do a lot worse than either
this FRBR core or extended implementation.

> stated - for instance I'm not sure that FRBR people would consider
> Works to be "notions", and the definition of endeavor is circular.
> Endeavor is added by the developers - it is not part of the published
> FRBR.
>
> In any case, if you were to use something from that I would use the
> extended http://vocab.org/frbr/extended.html#isATranslationOfExpression
> which is less encumbered - it directly relates expressions of the same
> work. In this interpretation the "Work" is something like the idea of
> of the license elements independent of a particular language, and each
> language specific deed is an Expression.
>
> One thing I would make sure of - is that the translations are of the
> same port. It's not clear to me that different jurisdiction ports
> should be consider expressions of the same work. In any case the
> relation between different ports is not the same as the relation
> between different translations of the same port.

Naturally. We're only making the assertions about the deed
translations for a specific license.

>> Is anyone aware of something that's "obviously" the right thing to use?
>
> I'm not.
>
>> Any opinions on the above options?
>
> isATranslationOfExpression seems reasonably on the mark. However it
> gets a single google hit, and 0 sindice hits.
> http://vocab.org/frbr/core.html#translation doesn't fare any better.

Thanks for the feedback. I think we're going to start with the FRBR
vocabulary and work from there as we get feedback.

NRY