cc-metadata - [cc-metadata] Publishing assertions for license translations

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>, cc-tab <cc-tab AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-metadata] Publishing assertions for license translations
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:36:35 -0800

The CC license deeds are available in many languages, and users
sometimes link to the language-specific deed (ie,
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/deed.es). We want to ensure
that we're publishing RDFa describing the license itself, and not a
translation. We also want to make sure agents can follow their nose
from the translation to the actual license. The question we're trying
to answer is what predicates to use to model that translation
relationship. Things I've looked at:

* Dublin Core doesn't seem to have anything translation-specific
(although hasVersion/isVersionOf --
http://www.dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-hasVersion --
looks like it'd be a reasonable generic approach, or something to
refine if we do our own).

* One instantiation of the FRBR model,
http://vocab.org/frbr/core.html, includes translation and
translationOf predicates
(http://vocab.org/frbr/core.html#translation). This would imply the
Licenses are "creative or artistic endeavors".

Is anyone aware of something that's "obviously" the right thing to
use? Any opinions on the above options?

Thanks,

NRY