cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] Obtaining XMP CC licences for embedding in PDFs

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] Obtaining XMP CC licences for embedding in PDFs
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 11:38:41 -0800

Hi Michael,

It appears that the example XMP included in [2] was generated using
our old approach to marking works with license information. Before
the publication of the CC Rights Expression Language
(http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CC_REL), we recommended including the
full <License> block in both XMP and HTML documents. We've since
realized that this is redundant and not particularly helpful: the
license is the canonical source of information about itself, so we now
recommend specifying the license by URI. Interested agents can
de-reference that to discover more information.

The XMP generated by the chooser does provide the minimal amount of
information needed to associate a work with the license, but you're
correct, it does not include the additional metadata you can provide.
I've opened two new issues for our XMP support: one to restore the
visible link and another to update the template we use to generate
that.

http://code.creativecommons.org/issues/issue548
http://code.creativecommons.org/issues/issue547

Finally, please note that the CC Tools repository at Sourceforge is
deprecated; we're hosting our own source repositories these days at
http://code.creativecommons.org/.

Nathan