cc-metadata - [cc-metadata] Obtaining XMP CC licences for embedding in PDFs

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Michael Dorrington <michael.dorrington AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-metadata] Obtaining XMP CC licences for embedding in PDFs
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 19:40:25 +0000

I want to be able to embed CC licences[0] in PDFs made via LaTeX.

I'm using xmpincl[1] to embed a licence which works great. I can embed
the included example licence of CC-GNU GPL listed in the "The XMP
inclusion package" document[2]. But I want to embed a different licence
so I need the corresponding XMP file.

Many pages on the creative commons site, for example the one on XMP[3]
and the one on XMP embedding for pdflatex[4], say that the licensing
process[5] offers an XMP template. I can't find this option either
before or after the licence is generated. However, there is trick to get
the XMP file. Select the licence you want, for example:

Allow commercial uses of your work? Yes
Allow modifications of your work? No
Jurisdiction of your licence: None of the above

Additional information
Tell us the format of your work: Text
Title of work: FIXME_TITLE_OF_WORK
Attribute work to name: FIXME_ATTRIBUTE_WORK_TO_NAME
Attribute work to URL: FIXME_ATTRIBUTE_WORK_TO_URL
Source work URL: FIXME_SOURCE_WORK_URL
More permissions URL: FIXME_MORE_PERMISSIONS_URL

Click "Select a Licence". This loads a long URL[6]. Now change
"results-one" to "xmp" in the URL[7]. This new URL will load
"CC_Attribution-No_Derivative_Works_3.0_Unported.xmp". This XMP file
contains nothing from, and is not influenced by, the "Additional
information" section of the "Choose a License" page[5] so you get same
result from missing it out[8]. Now this XMP doesn't include all the
elements that are in CC-GNU GPL XMP listed in the "The XMP inclusion
package" document[2]. It doesn't have any "Agent" elements nor does it
have any "permits" or "requires" elements. I can use hyperref (and
beamer) to set Agent-like information in the PDF.

Another source of machine readable licences is the RDF versions of
licences that are part of cctools[9]. These include an RDF version of
"CC_Attribution-No_Derivative_Works_3.0_Unported"[10]. These RDF
licences include elements of "permits", "requires" and the "title" in
many languages other than English. These elements are not in the XMP
file obtained from the "Choose a License" page[5]. Could this be because
it is using an older, simpler schema as described in "Embedded Metadata
with XMP"[11] that has now be extended to the current schema[12]?

Given all this, is the XMP file generated via the "Choose a Licence"
method[8] sufficient to convey the licence? And if not, then what XMP
file should I use?

Your advice is very much appreciated. Please note that I am not
subscribed to the list so please CC me.

Regards,
Michael.

[0] British English spelling.
[1] http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/xmpincl/
[2] http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/xmpincl/xmpincl.pdf
[3] http://wiki.creativecommons.org/XMP
[4] http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4270
[5] http://creativecommons.org/choose/
[6]
http://creativecommons.org/choose/results-one?q_1=2&q_1=1&field_commercial=yes&field_derivatives=n&field_jurisdiction=&field_format=Text&field_worktitle=FIXME_TITLE_OF_WORK&field_attribute_to_name=FIXME_ATTRIBUTE_WORK_TO_NAME&field_attribute_to_url=FIXME_ATTRIBUTE_WORK_TO_URL&field_sourceurl=FIXME_SOURCE_WORK_URL&field_morepermissionsurl=FIXME_MORE_PERMISSIONS_URL&lang=en_GB&language=en_GB&n_questions=3
[7]
http://creativecommons.org/choose/xmp?q_1=2&q_1=1&field_commercial=yes&field_derivatives=n&field_jurisdiction=&field_format=Text&field_worktitle=FIXME_TITLE_OF_WORK&field_attribute_to_name=FIXME_ATTRIBUTE_WORK_TO_NAME&field_attribute_to_url=FIXME_ATTRIBUTE_WORK_TO_URL&field_sourceurl=FIXME_SOURCE_WORK_URL&field_morepermissionsurl=FIXME_MORE_PERMISSIONS_URL&lang=en_GB&language=en_GB&n_questions=3
[8]
http://creativecommons.org/choose/xmp?q_1=2&q_1=1&field_commercial=yes&field_derivatives=n&field_jurisdiction=&lang=en_GB&language=en_GB&n_questions=3
[9]
http://cctools.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cctools/license.rdf/trunk/license_rdf/