cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] [cc-devel] Exif metadata

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Luke Hoersten" <luke.hoersten AT gmail.com>
  • To: "CC Metadata Mailing List" <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "CC Developer Mailing List" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] [cc-devel] Exif metadata
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:20:24 -0400

Luis,
Verification is optional and I don't see anyone disputing this. There
is indeed a need for verification because that is what people want.
There are many different contexts for the word "need" and I think you
are assuming the legal context when I mean a communal context.

I remember Mike saying in a previous email, in this discussion, that
the CC provide verification because people want it, not because its
legally required. If clients want something, that becomes a need to
the community and it's just like someone including their email address
or website with their GPL license. This was only meant to be a loose
example and nothing more.

I suggest you read the MP3 license specs here:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/MP3
and take special note of this:
" *If* "verify at" exists in TCOP, everything after it must be the
metadata URL and the preceding link must be the license URL. "

Back to my first email, the issue of optional verification has already
been resolved with MP3 licenses.

--
Luke Hoersten
http://www.openradix.org/