cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] [cc-devel] Exif metadata

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Luis Villa <luis.villa AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, Rob Litzke <robert.litzke AT gmail.com>, discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] [cc-devel] Exif metadata
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:36:38 -0700

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 20:18 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> > I'd recommend populating it with a URL referencing a page that contains
> > a copyright notice for the embedded file. I link to a license is nearly
> > worthless -- anyone can add such a link to any image and there is no
> > telling who did it or whether the image is actually licensed.
>
> So I have to have personal web publishing capabilities if I want to
> embed a license in a file,

Don't even think of it as "embedding a license" in a file. This is
worthless for the reason noted above.

> even one that (say) isn't public yet, or
> which I currently choose to distribute by methods other than the web?

You don't have to distribute the file via the web to publish a copyright
notice on the web for the file in question.

And "methods other than the web" are just the reason web notice is
necessary. Anyone could embed a CC license link to any photo (or mp3,
etc) and mail it to anyone. Is the recipient supposed to believe that
the content is actually CC licensed? Why?

A web notice gives one the level of assurance that one normally gets
from the web ... as opposed to zero.

> That seems incredibly onerous.

It may be, but if I may repeat myself, embedding a reference to a
license itself is incredibly worthless.

Note that if one really wants to locally reference a specific license
one could use XMP or better yet completely filetype agnostic external
metadata.

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer