cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] what is definitive url for the creative commons xml namespace

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] what is definitive url for the creative commons xml namespace
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:29:05 -0700

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 00:40 -0400, Roan Horning wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When working with creative commons metadata and svg files, I keep seeing
> the xml namspace url pointing to http://web.resource.org/cc/ (i.e
> xmlns:cc="http://web.resource.org/cc/";). Was this the original location
> for Creative Commons information? Will this always be the url or are
> there plans to transition this to the creativecommons.org domain name space?

The ns will eventually be moved to to http://creativecommons.org/ns# (or
similar), but ...

> I'm using inkscape to create my test svg files. It uses the
> web.resource.org/cc/ base url for the xmlns, and for pointing to the
> various licenses' permissions, prohibitions, and requirements. However
> for the actual license (i.e. Attribution Share Alike, Attribution No
> Commercial) it uses http://creativecommons.org/licenses/ as the base
> url. Although I have seen some old svg files on OpenClipArt.org which
> use the http://web.resource.org/cc/ path to point to license info.
>
> When parsing the rdf markup, should I just test for both url paths in
> all cases, or is the http://web.resource.org/cc/ the definitive namespace?

The ns is used for CC vocabulary items. Licenses are just URIs. If you
want to think of http://creativecommons.org/licenses/ as the "base" of
CC license URIs (which is not going to change) you can, but a license
URI could be anything and has no relation to the ns used for the
vocabulary.

If you're wondering whether you should be looking for something like
web.resource.org/cc/by/2.5/ or creativecommons.org/licenses/Permits the
answer is no.

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer