cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] [cc-community] Mixed Licenses on a Single Web Page

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-community AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] [cc-community] Mixed Licenses on a Single Web Page
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:57:08 -0700

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 18:29 -0400, Mike Boone wrote:
> I have in the past added metadata to a web page to indicate its
> Creative Commons license to a search engine.

This is really a question for cc-metadata, followups directed there.

> Let's say that I create a community site whereby each user can specify
> a different license of the content they post. If I post an image as
> cc-by-sa, I can encode the web page with that metadata. But what if
> another site user posts a comment to my image page, and they want to
> license all their comment text as cc-by-nc? How do I indicate that
> part of the web page is cc-by-sa and another part is cc-by-nc? Is it
> possible? Or do we just assume the license refers to the primary
> content of the page, i.e. my image?

Search engines (Yahoo! and Google's CC search) only work at the page
level so far. You should include a license notice with appropriate link
for each licensed element, but don't expect search engine behavior to be
influenced by this, unless you are able to give each element its own
page (e.g., click a comment title to obtain a page with only that
comment and the license notice for that comment, an image to obtain a
page featuring only that image...).

Soon there will be specifications licensing metadata at a more granular
level than page-only though I expect we'll have experimental support in
our prototype search http://search.creativecommons.org/?engine=nutch
long before the major commercial search engines are interested.

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer

  • Re: [cc-metadata] [cc-community] Mixed Licenses on a Single Web Page, Mike Linksvayer, 07/15/2006