cc-metadata - [cc-metadata] Verification URLs & upcoming changes for id3

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Antti J. Salminen" <antti.salminen AT ajatus.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-metadata] Verification URLs & upcoming changes for id3
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 02:15:20 +0200

I'm wondering about what's the actual significance of the verification
URL and what should I do when a file has a proper cc-metadata tag but
the verification URL referenced has become defunct after I downloaded
the file.

As I understand it, even if the verification web page goes away, I'm
still licensed to use the file and also redistribute it to others who in
turn have all the same rights. But should/could I change the URL to
point to a page that actually exists? I anticipate broken addresses
becoming an increasing problem as I collect material.

Also is there an ETA on the revised guidelines for tagging mp3s and ogg?
I'm going to add licensing information to a large number files that
don't have it to be able to display it when playing on an internet radio
station and if there are going to be new instructions very soon (or the
ones discussed on this list are going to be the final ones) I won't do
it the old way.

-Antti J. Salminen