cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] a rel=meta for license embedding ?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: lucas AT gonze.com, discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] a rel=meta for license embedding ?
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 16:10:44 -0800

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 09:27 -1000, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> > "They [comments] are not part of the document's character data; an
> > XML processor MAY, but need not, make it possible for an application
> > to retrieve the text of comments."
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-comments
>

> The structuredblogging.org formats embed XML in HTML by putting it within
> SCRIPT elements, which preserve the character data.

Using <script> would certainly be superior to comments, and I believe
Aaron Swartz has said he would've taken that approach had he thought of
it.

<script> is not ideal, as outlined at
http://infomesh.net/2002/rdfinhtml/#objectOrScript

We're sticking with html embedded in comments until rdf/a is ready to
replace them rather than migrating to a better kludge in the interim.
We're also supporting the rel=license microformat and may do more with
microformats going forward.

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21

  • Re: [cc-metadata] a rel=meta for license embedding ?, Mike Linksvayer, 01/04/2006