cc-metadata - Re: Sampling Licenses

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Renato Iannella <renato AT iannella.it>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Sampling Licenses
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:17:18 +1000

On 23 Nov 2004, at 07:27, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

We don't plan to add "prohibits AdvertisingUse" or "requires HighlyTransformativeUse", as the vocabulary is intentionally coarse grained. I'd be happy to entertain contrary arguments.

Mike - I am trying to workout if there is any "machine code" differences
as this is something we may like to capture in the ODRL/CC Profile [1].

There are obvious semantic differences between the licenses, but If
we look at these two:

<License rdf:about="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/nc-sampling+/1.0/";>
<permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Reproduction"; />
<permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Distribution"; />
<permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/DerivativeWorks"; />
<requires rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Notice"; />
<requires rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Attribution"; />
<prohibits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/CommercialUse"; />
</License>

<License rdf:about="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/";>
<permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Reproduction"; />
<permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Distribution"; />
<permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/DerivativeWorks"; />
<requires rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Notice"; />
<requires rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Attribution"; />
<prohibits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/CommercialUse"; />
</License>

They have the same properties, but are different licenses.

I know that RDF-folk will argue that these are different resources,
hence are different things (licenses).

In the non-RDF world (with good ol' XML Schema:-), to represent the above,
we need to add some differentiation. We could take the "nc-sampling+/1.0/"
URI and turn it into an element, but that URI represents the "whole"
license.

Cheers

Renato Iannella
ODRL Initiative