cc-metadata - Re: Sampling Licenses

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Sampling Licenses
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:27:25 -0800

Renato Iannella wrote:
A query about the new Sampling Licenses.
The Machine code (eg for "sampling+/1.0/") does not include
any new statements. The usual "permits", "requires", "prohibits" only appear.

There are some obvious new "prohibits", such as "advertising" and
new "permits" (eg "re-creativity").

Will these be defined?

The only new prohibition is advertising, and there are no new permissions not covered by permits DerivativeWorks. There is a new requirement on the latter -- the derivative must be highly transformative.

We don't plan to add "prohibits AdvertisingUse" or "requires HighlyTransformativeUse", as the vocabulary is intentionally coarse grained. I'd be happy to entertain contrary arguments.

http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21