cc-metadata - Re: Tagging PNG files?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: David Wendt <dcrkid AT optonline.net>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Tagging PNG files?
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:17:44 -0500

Hrm.. XMP is open as well, right?
(btw, what's XMP?)

Anyway, it seems that it could be done easily with some slight modification to current software (Photoshop, GIMP) which would be great.

Now, when I think about it, AVI files could be tagged in the same way.. and OGGs, and MKVs...

/me starts looking at ways to semantise

Sigmascape1 AT cs.com wrote:
This is an ongoing issue for me. I have searched the web for answers. I own Photoshop 7 & CS (8) for Windows. Adobe clearly states that PNG files won't accept XMP metadata inserts. This is such a weird thing since PNG is open source, you'd think that there would be an easy way to pop XMP data into these files.

Let me know if someone has found out what, if anything, can be done.

Thank you!!!

MLF

www.sigmascape.com

"Jon A. Cruz" <jon AT joncruz.org> wrote:

David Wendt wrote:

After reading some parts of the W3C's spec for PNG, it seems easy
enough to create a chunk for licence metadata that could then easily
fit into a PNG file (photo, webcomic) for tagging files. The contents
of the chunk would be the same as the mp3 data, although if you really
wanted we could stick some RDF in there.

Does anyone have access to Adobe tools, including their publishing stuff
in addition to Photoshop? It might be useful to check to see what they
do, if anything, to stick their XMP RDF in PNG files.