cc-metadata - Tagging PNG files?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: David Wendt <dcrkid AT optonline.net>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Tagging PNG files?
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 18:31:05 -0500

After reading some parts of the W3C's spec for PNG, it seems easy enough to create a chunk for licence metadata that could then easily fit into a PNG file (photo, webcomic) for tagging files. The contents of the chunk would be the same as the mp3 data, although if you really wanted we could stick some RDF in there.

How to encode metadata: The chunk will be an ancillary private safe-to-copy chunk named ccMd (the capitalization is important) that will contain data in the format used for MP3-tagging:

[copyright notify] [license url] verify at [claim url]

The 2 important URLs are next to the words 'verify at', that is, the URL to the left of 'verify at' is the licence URL, the right of 'verify at' is the claim url. The software will then check the claim url for the verifing RDF, checking it against the licence referred to in the licence url.

It's important you read and understand part 5 of the W3C PNG spec:

http://www.w3.org/TR/PNG/#5DataRep

Read that entire part, it will show you what I'm talking about.

Comments, critiques, flames?