cc-metadata - Re: Tagging music with tempo, time signature

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Sylvain ZIMMER" <sylvinus AT lynucs.org>
  • To: "discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work" <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Tagging music with tempo, time signature
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 00:13:57 +0200 (CEST)

Hi ! BPM tag is great and useful. ID3v2.3 has one :
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.txt

However, even if I'm not really sure of where the tag will be located (in
the RDF thing ? in the file ?), I do wonder if it has anything to do with
CC licenses ?

Because if CC chooses to support BPM, why not support all the other ID3
tags ??

Just my 2 bytes :)

Sylvain

> Here's a request for additional work metadata. Sounds very useful.
> Anyone know of existing vocabularies that incorporate these items or
> have related requests or advice?
>
> Mike Linksvayer wrote:
>> Thanks for following up. If I can summarize, you'd like to constrain
>> searches for music by
>> - time signature
>> - bpm
>> - user-defined keywords (a la del.icio.us)
>>
>> Mind if I forward your email to the cc-metadata list?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Mike
>>
>> Tom Hill wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> I was nice talking with you at the Emerging Technology Sig on Tuesday.
>>>
>>> We were discussing other characteristics of music that someone might
>>> want to search for. I have few things I do to manage my songs in
>>> iTunes. I'd love to see them extended to generally available metadata,
>>> for search engines, etc.
>>>
>>> New Fields:
>>> In particular, since I DJ ballroom dance events, I need to find music,
>>> for example, in 3/4 time, with a tempo of between 86 and 96 beats per
>>> minute. None of the music search engines that I have found track this
>>> info. iTunes does allow users/creators to tag with work a BPM field
>>> (but not a time signature). But if no one else is doing it, then one
>>> should probably start with iTunes format for BPM, and see if it can be
>>> generalized for time signature, etc.
>>>
>>> The sad thing is, it's trivial for the artist to tag the song with
>>> this information, since they have this information. But they don't
>>> yet, because there is nowhere for them to publish this info.
>>>
>>> This information is useful to anyone who plays music for people to
>>> dance to.
>>>
>>> Problems with Tagging:
>>> The other difficulty I find is that most tagging systems want to use
>>> some predetermined set of tags to identify songs. (e.g. the Genre list
>>> you find on most search engines). Not only are these lists way too
>>> limiting (waltz, for example, is in none that I have found), but they
>>> invariably have the idea that ONE of there options is the answer, when
>>> clearly many would fit.
>>>
>>> For example, a song may be a silly, country western, waltz, with a
>>> romantic theme.
>>>
>>> So, in my opinion any truly useful tagging scheme would allow user
>>> defined tags, and would allow as many tags as necessary
>>>
>>> If I can be helpful in encouraging people to do this, or in helping it
>>> happen, let me know.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>>> For example:
>>> Things that I tag on my songs (using unstructured comment fields, and
>>> searching)
>>> Christmas, Halloween
>>> Silly, romantic
>>> PG-13