cc-metadata - Re: DOAP

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri AT w3.org>, Edd Dumbill <edd AT usefulinc.com>
  • Subject: Re: DOAP
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:12:36 -0700

Andy Powell wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
I've heard that explanation before, I'm being a jerk and grousing. My
preference would be for fuzziness over lack of interoperability. I find
it telling that this question from
<http://rdfweb.org/topic/UsingDublinCoreCreator> goes unanswered:

I'd be interested to know if you find the draft DCMI Abstract Model at

http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/metadata/dcmi/abstract-model/

helpful with respect to these issues.

(dc:creator with a literal value is shorthand for saying the dc:creator is an anonymous resource with a rdfs:label of the specified literal value.)

I find such a convenient rule a bit troubling for the same reason I find the psuedocode rule for the equivalence of dc:creator with a literal value and a foaf:maker with a foaf:name of the same literal spoken mentioned above -- these rules aren't expressed in the relevant schemas. I'm sure there are excellent reasons, though it feels unfortunate to require software to special case such informal rules. Has anyone created a RDF library, or schema (using OWL equivalence?) that attempts to encapsulate such rules?