cc-metadata - Link to external RDF

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: "Bullock, Larry A" <larry.bullock AT eds.com>
  • To: "'cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Link to external RDF
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:47:53 -0400

It looks like you should be able to link to an external rdf document (which
would lower the html file size).

It also appears as if the proper format for the link might be is:

<link rel="meta" type="application/rdf+xml" title="Creative Commons License"
href="(URL)" />

However, I would like to confirm the following:

Is the rel really "meta" or can anything else be put in here? According to
the W3C, the following are appropriate rel values (although many browsers
recognize others):

Alternate
Stylesheet
Start
Next
Prev
Contents
Glossary
Copyright
Chapter
Section
Subsection
Appendix
Help
Bookmark

It seems to make sense to use the Copyright one to me.

Also, the example on
http://creativecommons.org/technology/metadata/extend#html uses a *.rdf
filename for the example. Wouldn't it make more sense to use a *.xml name
(since most modern browsers have some idea what to do with that) or is this
something that only specific applications (rdf reader) should be viewing?

Thanks,

Larry