cc-metadata - suggested editable format metadata (was Re: Practical Free Culture)

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: suggested editable format metadata (was Re: Practical Free Culture)
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 16:24:07 -0700

Evan Prodromou wrote at <https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2004-April/000666.html>:
"ML" == Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org> writes:

Me> An example would be music. Yes, you can and should distribute
Me> music in MP3 or Ogg Vorbis format, but you should also make
Me> available WAV files or whatever track sources are needed.

ML> We're going to be working with archive.org and some other
ML> projects to encourage making WAV files available.

It might also be good to think of how to identify the suggested
editable format in e.g. metadata.

You could use dc:format. That doesn't say "this is the suggested editable format", but

Work, dc:format, audio/x-wav

would be a good hint.

Requires media type specific knowledge, doesn't work at all when the choices are multiple encodings in the same format, different bitrates or the like.

Suggestions welcome.

  • suggested editable format metadata (was Re: Practical Free Culture), Mike Linksvayer, 04/06/2004