cc-metadata - Re: CC Metadata on creativecommons.org

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC Metadata on creativecommons.org
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 12:43:22 -0700

Evan Prodromou wrote:
So, it seems like the Creative Commons site just blurts out CC
metadata for every page as 'by', without actually identifying any of
the works on the page, nor the creators, nor anything else, really.

For example, 'A Spectrum of Rights' is by-nc-sa:

http://creativecommons.org/learn/licenses/comics4

...but the metadata just says 'by'.*

Good point, we'll fix that soon.

Similarly, the weblog archive:

http://creativecommons.org/weblog/archive

...has several 'works' (I think), but they're not individually indexed
with Work elements, nor are the creators identified.

Well, everything on the page is under the same license, and each post does have its own page. I think it would be going overboard to include individual metadata for each post on archive pages.

Surely it would be better to set a good example for giving more
complete and accurate metadata.

You're right.

* Which brings up the extremely interesting point of whether a Web
page is a composite or derivative work.

Interesting to the point of being non-interesting. Like the creator/contributor distinction, I think it can be argued endlessly without arriving at a well-defined conclusion.