cc-metadata - Re: CC LicenseLib - a .NET library for Creative Commons License Metadata

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: CC LicenseLib - a .NET library for Creative Commons License Metadata
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:10:40 -0800

admin AT delegatetechnologies.com wrote:
I just wanted to announce that I've done an initial release of a Visual
Basic .NET class library called CCLicenseLib.

Hi Steve. This is great news, thanks!

The library was initially
ported from the PHP implementation that Blake Watters submitted and
contains an object library that is useful when integrating Creative
Commons Licenses into .NET applications. (you can see Blake's PHP
implementation at: http://cclicense.sourceforge.net/ ) While much of the
functionality is the same as a result of a direct port of the code, I
added a few extra functions to the cc_license class that can assist in
generating and reading XML files with embedded license information of a
specific structure. The XML parsing
routines are fairly basic and follow a specific format (See
releasenotes.txt packaged with the project files), I would be interested
in hearing suggestions for XML schemas as well as better ways to
embed/parse license information into and from XML documents.

I just glanced at the source. It looks like you provide read and write methods for a format like

<CCLicense Name="Attribution" ... NonCommercial="false"></CCLicense>

I urge you to just use RDF/XML for serializing the licenses in XML (the one exception may be an expression of the licenses using a different rights vocabulary for integration with a system that knows e.g., ODRL). The RDF/XML serialization _is_ XML and may be embedded in any XML document.

Just one other quick comment -- I see that you've got

.m_uri = "http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/";
.m_logo_uri = "http://creativecommons.org/images/public/somerights.gif";
.m_logo_link = "http://creativecommons.org/learn/licenses/";

The somerights/norights logos generally ought to link to a license deed/PD dedication. I'd suggest eliminating the m_logo_link property, as m_uri already has the correct link.

Thanks again,
Mike