cc-metadata - PDF metadata---How and can XMP be done in free software?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: James Howison <james AT freelancepropaganda.com>
  • To: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: PDF metadata---How and can XMP be done in free software?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:08:05 -0400

I working on a project to put citation metadata into academic pdfs (to help me manage the pdfs that I download). The basic idea is, "Why can't I manage academic PDFs the way I manage MP3s?".

I'm blogging about this here: http://shangorilla.syr.edu/themp/

Relevance to this list is that we're both trying to get metadata into PDF files and that, eventually, I'd like to incorporate CC academic style licences as I imagine is intended to eventually happen here:

http://www.pubmedcentral.com/articlerender.fcgi?artid=212690

But for now I'd be happy just to get the citation inside the PDF file so that applications like http://bibdesk.sf.net can file downloaded papers away nicely.

There are two ways that I can think of to go about this and I have questions relevant to each that I hope people here can help me with:

1. Kludge for proof of concept: Add bibtex record to PDF document information field. I can do this using the perl PDF::API2 (as described on the blog here: http://shangorilla.syr.edu/archives/themp/000206.html) but I can't find an open source C library capable of doing this (clibpdf and the free PDFlib both, I think, cannot edit existing files).

Anyone know a free c library that can read/write/edit the Document Information Dictionary for PDFs? (or maybe it is really easy and I don't need a library ... pointers?)

2. Use XMP after converting the bibtex (or other biblio format to rdf)
(maybe using something like http://www.cs.vu.nl/~mcaklein/bib2rdf/)

But I'm quite confused about how to add XMP packets to PDF files using a totally open source process (ie without access to the Acrobat API). Adobe's current answer seems to be, "It's really hard and we're not interested in supporting it (at least using their XMP toolkit)". I ranted about this on the Adobe boards and mirrored that post here:

http://shangorilla.syr.edu/archives/themp/000203.html

I may well have gone off half-cocked about this, so my question to you rdf and metadata gurii considering adding CC licences to PDFs,

How are you planning on getting CC licences into PDFs?
Are you planning on using XMP?
What open source libraries or tools are you planning on using to do it?

If people have comments on the main aim of the themp project (or a link to it already working ;) I'd be really interested in hearing from you either on the blog or by email.

Thanks in advance,
James